In a feature that I’ll be running here on Gone Puck Wild throughout the season, before each game, I will analyse the underlying numbers for both the Wild and their next opponent to see how they match-up. Tonight’s opponent is the Florida Panthers.
-Here are the underlying numbers for both teams so far this year at 5v5 Close, along with some general statistics:
(GF%=Goals For %, CF%=Corsi For %, FF%=Fenwick For %, SF%=Shots For Percentage, Sh%=
Shooting Percentage, Sv%=Save Percentage)
- The Panthers actually aren’t as bad as one might think. Their puck possession numbers are decent, but they’re suffering from ridiculously low percentages. There’s no way that Sh% and that Sv% are sustainable. This team might actually win a few games before the end of the year and surprise some people.
- Their special teams are woeful though.
- The Wild are still getting it done in terms of puck possession.
-Here are the Best 3 and Worst 3 players for each team in various statistical categories. This only counts players who have played 50% of their team’s games so far:
|5v5 CLOSE|| |
|MIN CF% Top 3|| |
|MIN CF% Worst 3|| |
|FLA CF% Top 3|| |
|FLA CF% Worst 3|| |
|KULIKOV (46.1%)||UPSHALL (46.2%)|
|MIN FF% Top 3|| |
|MIN FF% Worst 3|| |
|FLA FF% Top 3|| |
|FLA FF% Worst 3|| |
|MIN PDO Top 3|| |
|MIN PDO Worst 3|| |
|FLA PDO Top 3|| |
|FLA PDO Worst 3|| |
- Check out Nino Niederreiter. He has skyrocketed up the Corsi and Fenwick charts. That trade looks better all the time…
- Nick Bjustad is putting-up great numbers in his rookie year.
-Here are the Player Usage Charts for both teams to illustrate which players are getting tough minutes and which players are being sheltered:
- Scandella, Brodziak and Cooke still have the toughest minute and are doing very well.
- The 4th line is taking on soft compeition and doing okay.
(Click To Enlarge) (Bubble Size=Corsi On Rating. Blue Bubble=Postive. Red Bubble=Negative)
- You can see that Bjustad’s great numbers are a product of playing sheltered minutes.
- Tom Gilbert and Brian Campbell are putting-up very good puck possession numbers on a bad team. The top-pairing defencemen should have no trouble securing a move elsewhere before the trade deadline.
- Shawn Matthias stands-out too as a nice target for a team looking to add some depth via trade.
Okay, that’s all from me. Make sure you check-out the official Gone Puck Wild Game Preview before puck-drop where you’ll get some useful insight along with all the information you need about the game.
Follow me on Twitter for more hockey views/analysis.
*Numbers in this article courtesy of: