In a feature that I’ll be running here on Gone Puck Wild throughout the season, before each game, I will analyse the underlying numbers for both the Wild and their next opponent to see how they match-up. Tonight’s opponent is the Winnipeg Jets.
-Here are the underlying numbers for both teams so far this year at 5v5 Close, along with some general statistics:
(GF%=Goals For %, CF%=Corsi For %, FF%=Fenwick For %, SF%=Shots For Percentage, Sh%=
Shooting Percentage, Sv%=Save Percentage)
- The Jets seem to be pretty bad at everything. They’re on a bit of a winning streak, but the underlying numbers paint an ugly picture. Their lack of goalie talent means that there is very little to suggest this team has any business in the playoffs this year.
- The Wild are still one of the best puck possession teams in the year. The goaltending is unsustainably good, while the shooting percentage is unsustainably bad.
-Here are the Best 3 and Worst 3 players for each team in various statistical categories. This only counts players who have played 50% of their team’s games so far:
|5v5 CLOSE|| |
|MIN CF% Top 3|| |
|MIN CF% Worst 3|| |
|WPG CF% Top 3|| |
|WPG CF% Worst 3|| |
|BOGOSIAN (44.6%)||STUART (45.1%)|
|MIN FF% Top 3|| |
|MIN FF% Worst 3|| |
|WPG FF% Top 3|| |
|WPG FF% Worst 3|| |
|MIN PDO Top 3|| |
|MIN PDO Worst 3|| |
|WPG PDO Top 3|| |
|WPG PDO Worst 3|| |
-Here are the Player Usage Charts for both teams to illustrate which players are getting tough minutes and which players are being sheltered:
- Mike Yeo needs to start giving Marco Scandella top minutes. The guy is just putting-up insane numbers right now in tough deployments.
(Click To Enlarge) (Bubble Size=Corsi On Rating. Blue Bubble=Postive. Red Bubble=Negative)
- Bryan Little is definitely one of the more underrated forwards in this league.
- Zach Bogosian seems to be underperforming considering all the hype about his talent.
Okay, that’s all from me. Make sure you check-out the official Gone Puck Wild Game Preview before puck-drop where you’ll get some useful insight along with all the information you need about the game.
Follow me on Twitter for more hockey views/analysis.
*Numbers in this article courtesy of:
Tags: 5v5 Close Advanced Stats Analysis Central Division Conference III Corsi Fancystats Fenwick Marco Scandella Minnesota Wild Minnesota Wild Preview NHL Pdo Puck Possession Regression Sh% Sv% Wild Wild Game Night Winnipeg Jets